Skip to Content
   Home   Books | Music | Comics | Humor | Podcasts & Shows | Articles | Fun & Games | FAQs

Something Spiffy This Way Comes.Forum Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Monarch of the Glen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvsie
So cool, your mom knows their name

applaud / smite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So monarch of the glen started coming up in my recommendations. I recall you being a fan. What is it about and do you think I'll like it?
Traegorn
Your Ineffable Host

applaud / smite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that series (I own the whole thing on DVD).

From Wikipedia: While trying to carve a living out of the London restaurant he runs with his girlfriend Justine, Archie MacDonald is called back to his Highland home, to the bed of his dying father, Hector. When he arrives, however, he finds that the news of his dying father was just a ploy by his dotty mother, Molly, to get him to Scotland and tell him face-to-face that he has inherited his father's large estate and castle, Glenbogle. Archie faces a tough decision: whether to help the debt-ridden Glenbogle, or to return to Justine in London.

That's the basic setup. Archie is the main character for the first four seasons, and another character (who I won't explain to avoid spoilers) is the main character for seasons 5-7.

The story is pretty much what happens to those big estates in the UK now that the modern world has caught up with them. It's a bit of a fish out of water story (even though Archie did grow up at Glenbogle), and I like it a lot.

Oh, and Tom Baker is in the last couple of seasons.
calvsie
So cool, your mom knows their name

applaud / smite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So kind of a precursor to what we are seeing now in downton Abby without being a period piece?
Traegorn
Your Ineffable Host

applaud / smite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well -- Downton Abbey is much more along the lines of the original Upstairs Downstairs.

Monarch of the Glen is more what happens long afterwards, when the money is gone - and you have that huge house and can't pay the bills.

Monarch of the Glen has a feel more similar to Ballykissangel, Hamish MacBeth or Northern Exposure (just to toss an American example on the end)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TRHOnline.com Forum Index -> Chaos Incarnate All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: